All set to Lose Your Glasses? Ten ideas for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest progressing fields of medication. Never ever before have numerous scientific breakthroughs and brand-new techniques emerged in such a brief amount of time. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to improve the cornea, offers countless people the opportunity to lower or eliminate their need for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio ads are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the quick and painless way to correct vision, however stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Before you opt to go under the beam, what can you do to help ensure that you will more than happy with your results?
The essential to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an educated patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a doctor by getting referrals from other doctors or from clients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be deceived by expensive advertisements about a specific laser. Pick the doctor, not the laser.
3. Select a physician who has actually done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. Exactly what a medical professional doesn't know can injure you.
4. Ask for details on your physician's LASIK eye surgical treatment issue rates. Find another one if your medical professional will not inform you. For top surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask exactly what measures are required to prevent infection. Search for a center with a dust-free or sterilized operating space. Ensure that disposable parts are not recycled. Insist that your eye is thoroughly sanitized, and insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized prior to your eye laser surgery to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Beware of ads pushing "low expense" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgical treatment is as great as a discount parachute. The possible savings are unworthy the risk of getting less than expert care!
Expect to see extremely well after LASIK, but do not anticipate to see completely. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as individual as each patient. Beware of any physician who assures 20/20 vision.
8. If you seem like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. Go elsewhere. You're not buying a vehicle; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
9. Implantable lenses link will most likely provide better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Consider waiting till the brand-new lenses are offered. Ask your physician about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, do not lose sight of the benefits: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually improved the eyesight of countless people all over the world.